Sunday, July 13, 2014

Ruffled Red Maxi Dress

To try my doll dress concept out for a girl and doll look, I used a couple red print fat quarters.

The bodice is from the Liberty Jane Maxi Dress pattern.  Then for the skirt I cut three pieces of fabric five inches tall and each piece was five inches longer than the previous piece.

Then I hemmed the bottom piece and sewed gathering stitches at the top of each skirt piece.  I gathered the bottom ruffle to the middle ruffle and then the middle ruffle to the top skirt.  I then topstitched down each seamline.

Following the instructions for the bodice, I put it together and then attached my skirt.

When Caroline saw the dress, she decided it would be perfect with red flower shaped sequin scattered over the dress. 

Now Caroline's not sure she's willing to share this dress with Kaylie.

While the dress turned out to be a really cute maxi dress, I'm going to have to cut shorter ruffle pieces to get the look I'm going for on the original concept dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment