Sunday, June 8, 2014

Summer Sew Along with Wren Feathers - Week 1

This summer I'm sewing along with Wren Feathers.  Check out all the fun of the Summer Sew-Along on Flickr.

The week one challenge is pants for my Hearts for Hearts doll.

Using a piece of denim with butterflies on it (and 2% spandex in it), I cut out the pattern.  The I threaded my sewing machine with gold thread as all my jeans are sewn with gold top-stitching.  I altered the pattern slightly to create pockets. And I stitched the front placket as if it was a zippered placket, even though the jeans fasten in the back instead.  To finish the look, I added a line of jewels along the pocket stitching on both sides.  Zelia paired her butterfly tank top with the jeans to make her outfit.

 And then I decided to give myself an extra challenge......by doing a second pair with a 70s twist.  I flared the hemline on the pattern a little and added a triangle piece to cut out of a fun print and stitch to the side seams.  All the stories I've heard people tell about their jeans in the seventies involved splitting open the side seams and adding fabric to get an even wider hemline.  For the top, I took the same fun print and created a halter style mock-smocked top with pink rick rack along the "smocking".  Then to finish off the look, Zelia's hair has two braids from just above her ears coming around her head and meeting in the back with a star shaped barrette.


No comments:

Post a Comment